About this Event
Do you enjoy problem-solving, analytics, and creativity? This is your opportunity to use those skills to help hack the digital divide! Get access to open data sets, virtual machines, and data science workshops to develop your expertise and create your very own data product.
About the Hackathon:
By 2021, Canada’s federal government has committed to bringing high-speed internet to 90% of Canadians. However, we still have a long ways to go. Many rural communities are still working on bridging that digital divide.
Cybera and ISAIC are teaming up to host a virtual open data science hackathon from May 3-30, 2021. This event will give participants (individuals or self-formed teams) the opportunity to connect with others from across the province who are interested in data science. Extract insights from open data sets, and leverage virtual machines and professional development workshops to develop a solution that will enrich our province.
The goals of this hackathon are to:
- Use relevant and open data to assess the connectivity barriers and gaps that exist throughout Alberta. This includes identifying communities that are under-served.
- Assess the correlation between social and economic indicators, and the speed of connectivity, to determine the role high-speed internet plays in community growth and sustainability.
Participants will create and submit data science products that:
- Have a clear goal or hypothesis that aligns with the hackathon’s goals
- Identify, use, and transform relevant open datasets
- Offer compelling metrics and data visualizations that support the participant’s hypothesis
- Tell a story
Rural Alberta communities will directly benefit from your efforts, as the output will be used to inform community planning and advocacy efforts for access to high-speed internet.
Over $4,000 in cash and prizes will be awarded to multiple teams and individuals. (Stay tuned for prize details)
- Best Overall Award
- Social Impact Award
- Technical Implementation ISAIC Award
- Solo Effort Award
- Social Impact = 25%
- Creativity & Resourcefulness = 25%
- Communicating Your Project Story = 25%
- Technical Proficiency, Implementation and Feasibility = 25%