- This event has passed.
YPE & FutureCite Event: Imagine Your Future Community, Company and City
May 28 @ 5:30 pm - 8:00 pm UTC-615$
Young Professionals in Energy and FutureCite Jointly Presents
TedTalks: What will the world be like in 20 years (Future of Energy, Transportation and Food Production)
The global world as we know it now is changing faster than we can adapt economically, culturally and geopolitically. Throughout history, human creativity and ingenuity have played key roles in overcoming past economic and industrial disruptions and upheavals within their jurisdictional borders. This digital transformation however is different, as its impact and reach will be felt exponentially and simultaneously by the entire world – and will impact future Living, Learning and Lifestyles.
The focus of this event is to engage the audience to “Imagine how they can play a role in the direction and adoption of AI to shape future Living and Lifestyles in their communities, companies and cities.
Topics and Invited Speakers
- Future of Energy (Power & Utilities & Energy) – William York, ATCO
- AI, sensors and devices (IoT) in everything and anything in communities, companies and cities, will enable the exponential connectivity & integration of products and services in, and to homes and work hubs and with multiple sources of energy. Next generation will have different expectations in the access, usage, and preferences in their choices of products and services.
- Future of Mobility (Transportation & Logistics) – Yeatland Wong, Stantec
- AI, and how we will travel from place to place and the impact it will have in the design of communities and cities. The adoption of Autonomous Vehicles, the planning of Infrastructure from highways to hyperloops, and from sky to sea to space will dramatically change the current definition of mobility, as well as the energy source choices. Next generation of travelers and users of mobility products and services will consider time, cost, convenience and user experience.
- Future of Food – Speaker Invitation to ALES (UofA) Dr. Stan Blade
- AI is changing dramatically with in sensors in everything from satellite imaging for GPS and automated farming equipment in food production, vertical farming and urban farming, and options in energy sources. Next generation of young food producers will be looking at modernizing the farm without losing the values of why they produce, distribute or retail food.
5:30 PM Registration Opens
6:00 PM Introduction
6:05 PM Future of Energy
6:20 PM 5 minute break to post ideas
6:25 PM Future of Mobility
6:40 PM 5 minute break to post ideas
6:45 PM Future of Food
7:00 PM 5 minute break to post ideas
7:05 PM 20 minute break for networking, food and refreshments
7:30 PM Q&A Panel for 3 presenters
Future of Energy
William York P.Eng.
Holding a Bachelor of Science with distinction in electrical engineering, William is a professional engineer with more than five years of utility industry experience. including distribution automation and asset strategy engineer at ATCO electric. A member of ATCO’s Electric Vehicle Centre of Excellence, William also serves as Director of the Electric Vehicle Association of Alberta.
Future of Mobility
Yeatland Wong P.Eng.
Yeatland Wong is the Senior Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITS) Engineer at Stantec Consulting. Yeatland has nearly 2 decades of experience in transportation engineering, and is an expert in smart mobility and new transportation technologies. Prior to joining Stantec Consulting, Yeatland was the Senior ITS Engineer for City of Calgary, and was program manager for the City’s ITS Program. Yeatland is also an Executive for the Intelligent Transportation Systems Society of Canada.
Future of Food
Dr. Stan Blade, Ph.D. Blade is Dean of the Faculty of Agricultural, Life and Environmental Sciences (ALES) University of Alberta. Dr. Blade is a 2012 graduate of the Wharton Business School’s Executive Development Program (University of Pennsylvania) and his Ph.D. from Macdonald College of McGill University for plant breeding/cropping systems research completed at the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture (IITA). He currently serves as a Trustee of the International Institute of Tropical Agriculture, a board member of the Alberta Cancer Foundation, Edmonton Global, Livestock Gentec and the Alberta Biodiversity Monitoring Institute. In 2018 Dr. Blade was elected as an International Fellow of the Royal Swedish Academy of Agriculture and Forestry. Dr. Stan Blade was founding Chief Executive Officer (2008-2014) of Alberta Innovates Bio Solutions. he also served as the Deputy Director General (Research) for the IITA. ALES is focused on teaching, research and community service in its departments: Agriculture, Food and Nutritional Sciences; Renewable Resources; Human Ecology; Resource Economics and Environmental Sociology and the University of Alberta Botanic Garden.
FutureCite Inc launched FutureCite.com in 2018 as a way for Citizens, Communities and Companies to imagine, shape and navigate the digital transformation, and to enable them to prepare for the impact that it will have on their future Living, Learning and Lifestyle. Through FutureCite.com we provide a way for the 90% of Society to learn and share knowledge and experiences, accelerate discovery on ideas and innovations, and dialogue and collaborate to bridge the knowledge and skills gap arising from the digital transformation. This one-stop digital hub consists of 3 interconnected digital platforms: 1) Focus – a platform to learn and share knowledge and experiences through articles, blogs and images 2) Flash – a platform to accelerate discovery and adoption of ideas and innovations through videos, short articles and images, and 3) Connect – a forum and private messaging platform to engage dialogue and collaborate on ideas, initiatives, or projects. FutureCite.com also hosts the Canada150in150 e-Book.